- Friday 25th April – Easter Superhall, including an Easter Egg Hunt (Note: this is the same night as Natsci Dinner). Booking is open.
- Saturday 3rd May – VIVA (after Sports and Music society dinners)
- Friday 9th May – Superhall
- Friday 13th June – Post-exam VIVA
- Sunday 15th June – Trinity Hall Garden Party (tickets on sale soon, watch this space!)
It’s a brand new term, and we’ve got a few things lined up that you should know about (because they’ll be great/useful/yummy). Have a gander.
Dates for your diary
Tuesday 22nd and Wednesday 23rd April
The Sports Centre is having Open Days from 11.00 am to 2.00 pm so that students can familiarise themselves with the venue well in advance of exams. Please do make use of this, it will make things much easier on the day!
Wednesday 23 April
Dr Jackson will be giving a talk in the Lecture Theatre at 3.30pm on study skills and advice for exam term; please come along!
Saturday 17th May
The JCR BBQ, hosted by Dr Jackson, will be held on the 17th of May; details will be sent out nearer the time.
Fun things to know about
- The Jerwood is open as normal, although hotdesking will be coming into force, so please clear up your books and papers at the end of the day.
- We have the Terrace Room and P Seminar Room booked from 9pm-5pm every day for quiet study.
- We also have the Lecture Theatre booked from 9pm-5pm as a designated non-work quiet space, so that people can use it for quiet relaxation, meditation, etc. Please don’t use it as a social space; we have the Welfare Room and the Cafe open as normal for socialising/napping/paninis.
- Yoga classes will be starting! More details to follow from the Welfare reps.
- From the 12th of May, there will be doughnuts provided several days a week; the Jerwood will also be providing juice and cookies. Look out for an email from Tutorial later on to confirm when and where. Gluten free options will be available on request.
Things to remember
- Please remember that there is support available if you have any problems or concerns, whether work-related, health-related or anything else. Do get in touch with your tutor, your DoS, or any member of the Welfare team if you are having any difficulties; you can also contact the college nurse or the college counsellor.
- It’s beautiful weather; Easter term may have a somewhat negative reputation but don’t forget it is also the term of punting, Pimms and lunch on Latham Lawn. Enjoy the sun!
- May Week. It’s going to be great.
Good news — we’ve got a brand new section of the website to help you out with grants and funds (particularly whilst the intranet information on the subject is being re-written). You can find a comprehensive breakdown of all grants and funds available through college here, or through the Useful Info section in the top bar.
We’ve also moved the new JCR Constitution to the same section, and added a new document outlining the procedures for societies (how to form them, how funding works, etc.)
We hope it’s useful. If anything is unclear, please feel free to get in contact with Emily, the JCR Treasurer (eb531).
Unfortunately the room database is becoming too out of date to be useful, so as a replacement we’ve collected all of the floor plans we’ve got to help you with balloting next week.
Not all areas have proper floor plans, and some are scanned copies of plans from a long time ago, so we make no promises as to the accuracy of these plans (particularly, Central Site staircases which have recently been refurbished will probably be out of date).
In any case, we hope they’re useful. They’re available here, or under the “Useful Links” menu heading. You’ll need a Raven login.
Judgement day has come — who will triumph in the
ultimate battle of wills, wits and little slips of paper in pigeon holes?
Only you can decide: voting is open until 6pm today. The voting link is here.
Also remember that nominations for co-opted positions are open until 6pm tomorrow. Voting for the CUSU elections are open online until tomorrow at 7pm, with paper balloting in college on Wednesday in case you missed it.
Vote for all the things.
Update: The results are in!
Here are your new JCR Committee 2014 members:
- Vice-President: Solene Fercocq
- Treasurer: Emily Bosley
- Secretary: James Troup
- Access Officer: Joe Pape
- Green & Ethical Affairs Officer: Anna Edgar
- Welfare Officers: Eowyn Elliott & Joel Daramola
Congratulations to you all!
If you ran but didn’t get a position, commiserations — there were 21 fantastic candidates in this round of elections. We hope this won’t put you off getting involved in the future with more JCR events or running again for something next year.
The library staff have just launched a new survey, which is a brilliant opportunity for students to let them know how they can make the Jerwood (even) better!
Even better, you’ve got a chance of winning a £30 Amazon voucher or 2 tickets for the Arts Picture House.
So far they’ve had over 50 responses from the grads and none from us — so get cracking!
The survey is open until March 7th.
Here are some dates for your diary, including the re-opening of hall, room balloting, and elections for the remaining 2014 JCR committee roles (except co-opted positions*). Exciting stuff!
- Fri 21st February - Halfway Hall. This will be the first student event in the new hall. The hall will be available to students at cafeteria from breakfast Sat 22.
- Sat 22nd & Sun 23rd February – Open House Weekend. Second and third years – please ask your mates to get involved. More details to follow early next week.
- Mon 24th to Thu 27th February - Nominations for JCR committee roles open
- Sun 2nd March – Hustings
- Mon 3rd March – Voting & elections
- Thu 13th & Fri 14th March – Room balloting. [Thu - current second years; Fri - current first years]
* Co-opted roles are elected by interview, and include roles such as LGBT+ Officer, Women’s Officer and Webmaster. These positions will open shortly after elections.
This Monday 10th February in the Bridgetower Room, Dr Edmund Kunji is giving us a talk titled “How do we get energy out of food?”
Fellow at Trinity Hall, Dr Kunji is a biochemist studying mitochondrial carrier proteins at the MRC mitochondrial biology unit. This is a fantastic opportunity to hear about the exciting topics he researches — don’t miss it!
Free wine and nibbles will be provided.
The newly renovated intranet site is now live! Featuring such highlights as cafeteria menus on the home page, usable navigation and weather, there’s something for everyone to love.
The link is in the sidebar to the right.
The new site has broken some of the links from this site, so if you find any that don’t work please email me (ojgl2) and I’ll fix them.
Congratulations to our new JCR President Ellen Judson, and our new Ents Presidents Hux Norman and Lizzie Gaunt! May your respective reigns be long and peaceful and prosperous for your people*.
The new committee members’ contact details will be up on the committee page soon.
I’d also like to take the opportunity to say “THANKS” and “NICE ONE” to the retiring Davina, Daisy and Dan. As I’m sure everyone will agree, you’ve done a great job over the last year and we really appreciate it.
Finally, the 8th issue of The Titbit is out today, check it out here.
* My use of “long” here should probably be taken to mean “of the appropriate length of time for your elected position”.