Alcohol & Drug Safety

University can be a place where people are exposed to substances such as alcohol and drugs (whether legal or illegal) for the first time. It’s important to stay safe and only do what you’re comfortable with. As always, if you’re struggling with anything you can talk to one of the Welfare officers, arrange to speak to the college counsellor/nurse, or arrange a visit to your GP.

If you’re taking care of someone who’s worryingly intoxicated, please put them to bed secured in the recovery position and alert the porters lodge – a porter will then check on them to make sure they stay safe.

In the event of an alcohol or drug related emergency, we recommend you follow the government advice given here.


Useful contacts:

Talk to Frank

0300 1236600

Information and advice about drug use, law, and treatment. The helpline is completely confidential and is running 24/7.

Alcoholics Anonymous

01223 833 900 (Cambridge), 08457 697 555 (Nationwide, 24/7)

AA is a peer-ran support group for those struggling with alcoholism. Regular meetings are run nationwide and multiple can be found in central Cambridge. A map of local meetings can be found here


Bridge Project Drug Advice Centre – 154 Mill Road, Cambridge, CB1 3DF

01223 214 614

This service provides confidential treatment services and information for individuals experiencing problems with drugs, especially recreational and ‘softer’ drugs.


Cambridge Drug and Alcohol ServiceMill House, Mill Road

01223 723 023

Cambridge Drug and Alcohol Service provides counselling and treatment for people suffering from drug or alcohol dependency, working with people with problems with ‘harder’ drugs (e.g. heroin) in particular. Referrals can be made by an individual or through your GP.


0300 123 1110 (Mon-Fri 9am-8pm, Sun 11am-4pm)

Drinkline is the national alcohol helpline, providing support and information for people experiencing alcohol-related problems.

PHP Code Snippets Powered By :